Thursday, December 24, 2015

Intro to my journey...part 2


You see, I knew health care was my calling but I was afraid to listen to what my heart was saying. Nursing. Years ago, while completing my PSW certificate, my teacher pulled me aside and told me that she thinks I should pursue nursing. Flattered and shocked, I ran home and started researching what needed to be done. After looking over the prerequisites and years of work, I quickly dismissed it. But, the idea lingered in my head and heart. After giving my problem over to God, I was told to go the nursing direction. I was waiting for the message but already knew what I had to do. I knew it.

Excited at the prospect of a change, long awaited, I decided to throw caution to the wind and applied for a pre-health one year program. Pre-health is basically a program designed for those needing to upgrade high school marks for health care professions such as biology, chemistry and advanced math courses (I had been out of high school for more than the 7 year cut-off for entrance marks applicable for nursing schools).

I arranged with my full time job to work a part time schedule and held on to my part time PSW job as well. In retrospect, I should never have done that. Although I am not the smartest apple in the bunch, I am also not half bad. But, returning to school after many years of being out and becoming a bonafide student, threw me for a loop. The first month was a mess and I was struggling to get through my days. After seeking and heeding advice from the learning center at my school, I finally found my stride. Working so many hours though put me at a disadvantage. Don’t let the name fool you. Pre-health is not for the faint of heart or non-committed. It was a challenge. I didn’t actually conquer pre-health as I was short a math course. This subject has always been my weakest link and all these years later, it was still the bane of my existence.

Applying to nursing school was a whole other monster on its own. Each school pretty much requires different marks and subjects but overall, I was covered. Now, here is the fly in the ointment and my piece of advice to you. Never go by the minimum grade required. Never. Always stride for way higher. I have to say, I busted my rump during my pre-health days and my marks were good enough until they were not. At the end of the day, I exceeded the minimums many of the schools required but other applicants preformed greater.

 A few days ago, my excited-to-enter-nursing-school bubble burst and I am now almost at square one. Due to the ever increasing yearly admission averages for nursing schools, straight A students who applied, obliterated my mainly B+ marks. After having a few tough days, while this sunk in, I have, with a heavy heart, ingested and accepted what I need to do. No nursing school for me in 2016.  Continue working for me. Maybe this is for the best? I have no idea but now I am on the path for a full time job and starting to upgrade some courses. The advisor of the school I really want to attend advised me to work on only two courses and I should be good for re-entry next year. I am actually going to upgrade three courses for propensity sake. Feeling insecure, I think it is better to up my chances by going in with stellar marks.

Here you have it. Where I will begin. I hope this journey will be a good one here on out. I plan on writing at least once a week but no commitments. I want to look back at this journey in a few years, after I am a nurse, and laugh at my journey. Not be in the same place. I hope you enjoy this path with me. Let’s get on the ride and enjoy the bumps and turns together. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment